Time Clock Cheating & Fraud Methods Exposed
If you run, own or manage a business, you probably use a time clock and want your employees to work the hours they’re supposed to. One of the biggest problems many businesses face is time clock cheating and fraud. Here is a list of some of the most common methods used by dishonest employees and ways to combat them.
Combating Time Clock Fraud
- Solution: The best way to combat this problem is to either frequently examine time cards, to install a camera near the time clock or to use a biometric time clock. Biometric time clocks provide one of the best ways to cut down on time clock fraud.
- Solution: The only way this type of time clock fraud can be prevented is by frequently examining the time cards or by using a digital time clock system. Digital time recorders and clocks are much more difficult to manipulate than an analog clock.
- Solution: This type of fraud can be prevented by using a time clock with a secure lock or one that requires admin privileges to set up. A strategically placed security camera will also prevent manipulation and acts as a great deterrent. Keeping the time clock in plain site of others can also act as a deterrent.
- Solution: It is recommended, even if you are a small business, to use some sort of a secure employee time clock. This will at least cut down on errors caused by bad handwriting and will at most cut down on potential fraud.
- Solution: Keeping a computer in plain site or in a secure location will help combat this problem. It is also a good idea to be sure administrator rights are enabled and that time manipulation cannot be conducted without a password. Be sure passwords are unique and difficult to figure out.
Ultimately these practices will not guarantee honest employees, but it will still help cut down on a lot of fraud. You can find secure employee time clocks here.
Please feel free to call us at 1-800-658-8788 with any time clock related questions.